|From left: CRF Intern 2012, Catia Agnolucci; CRF Intern 2017, Molly Lapointe; Program Assistant and CRF Intern 2015, Ilaria Locchi; CRF Intern 2016, Elinor Kirchwey|
Civitella is seeking interns for the 2018 residency season. Candidates should be able to commit to a minimum of six weeks between the start of May and mid-November, and availability should correspond as closely as possible to the start and end dates of the residency sessions. Preference will be given to candidates with longer periods of availability in order to maintain as much consistency as possible during the season. The dates for our four 2018 residency sessions are as follows:
Session 1: May 2 to June 11
Session 2: June 14 to July 23
Session 3: August 8 to September 17
Session 4: September 20 to October 31
Interns are a treasured and integral part of Civitella's community and daily life. They provide assistance with library functions, the meal program, excursions, presentations, and exhibitions at the Center. Our interns work with both the Executive Director and the Program Coordinator on a variety of special projects built around individual interests, experience, goals, and skills. The Civitella internship is a formative experience stressing teamwork, problem solving, program planning, and public speaking through introducing Fellows at events and leading field trips.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Prepare rooms and equipment for Fellows' arrivals
- Provide transportation for Fellows and Guests to and from local train stations, airports, and bus stations as they arrive to, and depart from Civitella
- Distribute orientation information and Welcome Kits
- Give tours of the facilities to Fellows and Civitella Guests
- Assist Fellows in their work as requested (Music, Visual Arts, and Writing)
- Provide transportation and assistance as needed for field trips and excursions
- General office work
- Add events and photos to the website, blog and Facebook
- Prepare for events, including set up, technical assistance, and clean up
- Research and introduce Fellows and Director's Guests for presentations
- Assist kitchen staff with meal planning, setting and clearing tables
- Catalogue new books DVDs and CDs for the Library
- Re-shelve books, DVDs and CDs returned to the Library
- Catalogue and organize the art collection
- Plan, research, and present historical and cultural information for excursions
- Provide general assistance to the Executive Director, Program Coordinator, the Office Manager, the kitchen, and the Fellows
Skills and Requirements
Working knowledge of English and Italian is necessary, as is a valid driver's license. Interns must be able to drive a large standard stick shift vehicle. We prefer interns with advanced computer skills, additional languages, and some experience in the arts, in study or work abroad. We are most interested in those who are self-motivated, independent, work well in a group/team environment, have the flexibility to deal with an unpredictable set of tasks varying day to day, and are able to deal with an intensely motivated community in an idyllic but somewhat isolated place of work. An ideal intern maintains a positive, willing, and helpful attitude and should be open and diplomatic in interactions with people of diverse backgrounds and ages.
We offer the selected candidates round trip airfare and transportation (from place of residence to Civitella), lodging and meals for the period of the internship and a stipend for incidental expenses of $175 per week.
How To Apply
Applications must include a letter of intent, an up-to-date CV, two references with their relationship to you and full contact information (phone, email). Your letter of intent should explain why the internship would be meaningful to you, how you might best contribute to the Civitella community, and what past experiences have prepared you for the work described above. All applications must be sent via email by December 31 to email@example.com. We review applications in January and conduct Skype interviews in February. Notification is sent to all candidates in March.